Friday, May 21, 2010

My Liver Biopsy

When I was at Fox Chase in Philadelphia Dr. C ordered a liver biopsy.  I didn't understand what or how they executed that.  The plan was to use an ultrasound camera to guide the biopsy needle into my 2 cm liver tumor.  The doctor advised me to "take em if you got em" -- to take a bunch of atavan for the procedure since I'd not only be conscious but would have to help them move my rib cage with deep breaths to get at the my liver.  Frankly I thought my liver was lower, but we needed to get at a spot under the last two ribs.  I was nervous.  Not because I was worried it was cancer.  Dr. C told me it certainly was.  Just the procedure.  I mean, seriously, how do they get down to the organ.
Well dear readers, the answer is a really long needle.  The whole thing was mad with needles.  They used 4 different needles to numb me.  One for the skin, next the muscles, next the membrane around the liver and then the big kahuna.  I was numb but I could clearly feel the guy actually in my body, in my organ, grabbing and shaking for tissue.  I had taken 4-5 ativan for it and tried to visualize myself in a hammock in Hawaii.  I was continually complemented for how calm I was during the whole ordeal, "high as a kite" I told them.  They took 4 different samples to be certain they grabbed some of the tumor.
They were all very kind a professional, although I never got the pina colada I ordered.
I was left with a black and yellow bruise that looked like I had been kicked in the chest.  And an unshakable feeling of being violated.  A vivid physical self awareness of the layers of tissue that I would have loved to get through my life without.  I hope I articulated this well enough. The experience haunts me.  I'm making some collages about it and will post them soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Confession---Just this time I took the pina colada off the tray that was heading for you. That solves that mystery. I'm so proud of you, Melissa, making it easier on the rest of them and your procedures by being calm. Hats off to Ativan as well. Thanks so much for the updates. It doesn't sound good, but I want to know. Even a syringe of novocaine going through my gum is alarming to me, but NEVER through skin, then muscles, then to the liver and the target and jabbing and shaking around in there
And the demur ladies in their delicate gowns.

Anonymous said...

From your old friend, Anonymous, again:
I miss you. I like knowing how brave you are, but that isn't needed or wanted. I'd admire you as much if you ran out of the room yelling bad words. I was mad I said I respected you for being patient. I don't know what I mean. I want so much for you, but don't know what I have to give.
I am sort of bleeding for you now.

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel