Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pain pills

I've been in bed the last few days, following my burn nurse's advice to take pain pills. I feel a little better today. I went down for a follow up with the nurse. She promised me that this was the worst of it and I would start to turn around- after a peel that I'm not looking forward to. I've been so tired, I've been dragging myself around the house. The pain pills help to keep you from moving around too much. At one point, I was lying on my back, hands on my belly and I couldn't move a muscle. Not out of pain, but from the sedation. I imagine that's the state junkies are furiously searching for. You don't sleep, and the craziest thoughts and scenarios flip through your mind. These painkillers actually leave me manic when they fade - astronaut wives, schools of fish, book sales, dance contests, backgammon games, brilliant ideas that evaporate with the breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good description of the scenes flipping through your mind when you'd rather sleep. My most vivid ones happened when I was a sick child -- just stomach flu or something everybody gets. I still don't like them one bit --- not one bit at all. I hope you'll get more restful sleep, Melissa.

Anonymous said...

Whoops. I was thinking of you having scotch with pizza and Yoon, but got mixed up and called it "bourbon." I don't want you to think I'm not paying attention, I enjoy the details. I guess I better not ask what kind of pizza it was or where you got it? No, don't tell me.