Monday, January 25, 2010

Burnin' up for your love

Ouch. This isn't me, but it is about the color of my chest and arm. And unfortunately, my radiation onc. wasn't joking when he said it would get worse for another week or so before it gets better. My skin hurts more than it has so far, and worse is the ickiness of skin breakdown -- it gets mushy. I panicked on Sunday and tried to get a doctor on the phone. That's when you know you're really on your own. I was transferred around a circle until someone finally paged the radiation onc. on call, who I have no relationship with. The genius told me to go to the emergency room. I laughed and said I wasn't going unless I had a high fever and to please give me suggestions on what to do. I followed none of them. I hope I at least took him away from Avatar for 5 minutes. I so often wish healthcare was delivered as it is on TV. TV is the reason people are satisfied with their care. Until they get sick. It's Monday, I have a call in today to the burn nurse. I have to limit my movement because my nerve endings are amped up. every soft brush of fabric or cushion-y pad starts those endings shimmying. I spent hours in bed yesterday watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show on Hulu, instead of reading accounting. No regrets.

4 comments:

jillian said...

I think you hit the nail on the head these freaking kaiser docs are in avatar...it all makes perfect sense now.

Anonymous said...

I maybe know what you mean about TV medicine. At least for me, I'd love to imagine doctors putting their heads together--THINKING about me. Oh, well.
Please keep updating. I hope you're sleeping all right? Are you getting that sweet relief, at least?

Small Fry Crafts said...

Hope you are feeling much better!!!!! And if it helps to cheer you up a bit, the "Word Verification" that I need to type in at the end of this comment is "sperm".

Melissa & Ned said...

I swear once I had to type "but" and "pirate" to sign into facebook -- I thought it was a trick.