Sunday, July 25, 2010

Am I a Cyborg, Cylon or just a bionic woman?


I am now part machine, I alternate terms for myself, am I now bionic, a cyborg (too dated) or a cylon?  I had surgery in Interventional Radiology on Tuesday to have a port put in.  I was very scared, although it's a simple surgery where they put you into twilight, awake and aware.  My head was under a tent so I couldn't see the actual carving.  I talked with the surgeon about recessing it so it didn't bulge out of the skin, he was kinda jerky about it, but he did a good job.  I went in at 7 and left at around 1030.  The port is a plug under my skin in my left breast, which allows easy access to a major artery for chemo, blood draw and some injections.  It still hurts when they plug in, i was especially sore on Wednesday when they fired it up. On the bright side, my left arm which was so painful  from damage is feeling better, it was almost immediate, like my arm took a deep breath and exhaled the pain.  I brought my dose back up 25%, per Dr. C's instructions.  My local onc was against it, but I have to remind myself that I can't trust her, not because she has bad intentions (I hope) but she doesn't practice the same medicine as Dr. C.  I'll leave it at that for now.  I'm fatigued and achy, my legs hurt, an stiff bone pain, but I haven't needed the aid of serious painkillers. which is better than I expected.  Sorry about the lame picture along with this post, I haven't gotten back to my studio.  So any opinions?  Cyborg, Cylon or bionic?
Wikipedia
Cyborg so known as a cybernetic organism, is a being with both biological and artificial values (e.g. electronic, mechanical or robotic) parts. The term was coined in 1960 (which I like)
 Cylon are a cybernetic civilization at war with the Twelve Colonies of humanity in the Battlestar Galactica science fiction franchise, in the original 1978 and 1980 series, the 2004 reimagining, as well as the spin-off prequel series, Caprica. In the 1978 series, the Cylons is also the name of the race who created the robot Cylons. (Nerd Alert)
Bionic - Jaimie Summers,  biology + electronics.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I like bionic. "The Bionic Woman" was incredibly popular for kids my age back when I was 8 (or 10?). Anyway, I remember her coming to town for a convention or something that I was invited to by a friend but couldn't attend for some reason. So disappointing, I've never forgotten it. As it turned out, Lindsay Wagner, who played Jaimie Summers, lived in a town near Mt. Hood (I guess when she wasn't filming the series in L.A.) and was later spotted by the same friend who had invited me to the convention. Occasionally she was seen around town but alas, I never saw her.
Now, if only you could get ahold of that supersonic hearing...
Hang in there, Melis. Always thinking about you.