Wednesday, September 8, 2010

sputnik is active


It's been a bit of a gap since my last post. I didn't forget about you, dear readers, I came down with a terrible flu between my 5th and 6th doses.  Fever, sore throat, cough and still clogged ears -- something delightfully called otitis media.  The nasty little ENT doc told me it could be 1,2 or 3 months before I get my hearing back.
 I was on the couch for almost 2 weeks.  They cleared me for pneumonia and low blood cell count, and sent me back home to get over it.  I was really sick, haven't been like that since I was a kid.  My mom came into town and helped take care of me (thanks mom) while hubby Ned worked like mad to get his solo show open last Friday.
I checked with Dr. C in philly and he recommended I take the 6th dose without delay since my blood cell count was fine.  My local onc said to put it off (of course).  I put my trust again in Dr. C and took my 6th Ixempra dose last Wednesday.
It's been so busy, mom here, my good friend Yoon from law school came into town.  She's super fun like a delectable cocktail on a summer night.  Ned's awesome opening, and, of course the neverending story of my treatment.
I've been tired and super cranky the last 2 days.  The PET CT didn't help.  I need to pull it together and feel the small joys.  Das-vi-dania!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my wood-block of a head, but is the PET CT you wrote about something new? Is this more bad news? The flu sounded terrible on its own.
Can you think of anything a bashful anonymous person could do to help? This is a slim offer, I know, but maybe you could think of something------like magazines to clip, a candy to send? You choose.

Melissa & Ned said...

No, this PET CT isn't new, I get them after 3 doses of chemo (I had to get a state lawyer to "encourage" my insurance company to do so) It's how they monitor the effect of chemotherapy on the body. It shows the metabolic activity of cancer cells.
I used to get only CTs and bone scans. Long story. Maybe I'll post about the differences.
You're so sweet to offer a present, I can't deny I love old magazines to cut up, mystery novels and chocolate. No pressure though, since what I really love is hearing from readers on the blog. -M