Tuesday, April 13, 2010

the journey

Sorry to have been offline for a while.  A lot is happening right now.  I just had a PET Scan today -- something my HMO generally has refused to do and am having an MRI brain scan tomorrow.  The bigger news is that I am traveling to Philadelphia to see a big shot oncologist who specializes in metastatic inflammatory breast cancer.  I don't know what to expect, but hope he has treatment and clinical trial suggestions.  I spoke to one of his patients who has a similar diagnosis as me and she can't say enough good things about him.  She also initially had my HMO and can't say enough bad things about them.  The PET scan is interesting because they inject a tracer into you-- glucose and  through that is monitors your blood flow and metabolic activity.   The big shot oncologist that I'm meeting with insisted that I have one done to be properly evaluated.  Interesting and distressing, considering my HMO has never done one on me.  This image is part of my new series of collages.  The pattern on the paper is taken from a vintage narcotic prescription drug pad.  It was literally the watermark of the prescription, and it so aptly represents the ocean of my journey.

No comments: